Cordless battery-powered trimmer or weed eaters have been around for many years. However, the main problem is that they weren’t an excellent option for long term care because batteries didn’t last long, and they weren’t powerful enough. Today’s technology has changed cordless string trimmers. We can proudly say that it is the best option that you can use to maintain your medium-sized backyard. There are very powerful, and in some cases, they could be compared with gas-powered trimmers. The most important is that batteries will last longer and they are quite affordable.
They can perform different functions and you can buy them with different attachments that could turn them into different tools so that your yard could look perfectly without using additional and expensive tools. It can trim hedges, edge, blow leaves, and much more. It is an affordable and cheap option for your backyard, and at the same time they are eco-friendly which means there will be no harmful emissions.
You can check the top three Cordless String Trimmer sold on Amazon：
- STOP EMPTYING THE BAG OVER and OVER Hooks up to your leaf blower or vac and empties into a 32-96 gallon waste container (not included)
- FITS ALL MAJOR BRANDS Works with both gas and electric leaf blowers or vacuums. Its universal adapter fits 90 percent of all blower or vacs on the market
- 8-FOOT HOSE Expands for 16 feet of reach, so you can set it down and work around it, then drag it with you to the next spot
- MESH HOOD Fits snugly over every standard waste container, and the cinch-tight drawstring forms a seal for a solid, consistent flow of air
- DO IT YOURSELF. DO IT BETTER. DO IT WITH WORX. WORX tools are engineered with cutting-edge technology, and above modern efficiency standards, so you can build a cost-effective tool collection that’s been designed to last
- Looks and sounds like a real Husqvarna 125B Blower
- Engine lights up and blows air
- Streamers on end of tube shows gentle air flow
- Perfect for kids ages 3 and up
- Requires 3 AA batteries
- A powerful 20 volt max lithium Ion battery delivers power and extended run time
- 22 inches dual action blade to ensures less vibration while trimming
- Cuts branches up to 3/4 inches diameter
- Ergonomic grips and low vibration help you work longer and complete the job
- Part of the 20 volt max system, Cutting Strokes/Min: 2400
1. BLACK+DECKER LSTE525 20V MAX Lithium Easy Feed String Trimmer
BLACK+DECKER LSTE525 allows you to choose from more speed or more runtime. In just a click, you can advance your line. Besides, all the features of top-quality trimmer are available on this BLACK+DECKER.
Lightweight and balance of the machine will give you more control on hand. It has been accepted as an all-rounder trimmer by most of the regular users.
- Micro-texture soft coating for better comfort
- Height and handle can be adjusted according to your need
- BLACK+DECKER LSTE525 is a 2 in 1 trimmer to wheeled edger
- Thick cutting is not so perfect on it
2. WORX WG163 GT 3.0 20V PowerShare 12” Cordless String Trimmer
WORX WG163 is the best all-in-one trimmer for your work. You can complete all the trimming with a single trimmer when you have the WORX WG163 GT 3.0. Spacer guard feature gives you more accurate cutting experience.
Yard work will become fun for you and you are going to love doing it with the WORX WG163. Impress your neighbors with beautiful yard using this trimmer.
- Instant line feeding enable in just a push
- Work perfectly in tough terrain with the help of its head tilts 90 degree feature
- Rubberized wheels ensure better performance at work
- Some regular users have some issue with the original line
3. Greenworks G-MAX 40V Cordless String Trimmer
If you are looking for a smooth and comfortable string trimmer then it is worth having a look at this Greenworks G-MAX 40V. Variable speed trigger is available with different option of easy to use tools.
Greenworks G-MAX 40V is easy to clean and maintain. It is a powerful trimmer that can pull out some good work at light trimming and edging.
- Greenworks 40V is a beginner-friendly lightweight string trimmer
- 45 minutes run time in a single charge
- Long 12-inch cutting path comes with the Greenworks G-MAX
- Drying power of this trimmer is not appreciated by all
4. Greenworks 12-Inch 40V Cordless String Trimmer
The battery Powered Greenworks 40 Volt String Trimmer is a wonderful alternative to a Gas-powered string trimmer.
The string trimmer has an automatic feed and two pre-strung coils, and the first coil even comes installed for you. With its replaceable battery as well so you can use it with any of the 25 plus tools to ensure your yard is looking great. Other features are a convenient wrap-around handle, a wide 12-inch cutting path, and a guard.
- Tough and long-lasting;
- Reliable battery power for long run time;
- Dual-line auto-feed head;
- Straight shaft and head-mounted.
- It is heavy.
This Cordless String Trimmer, Including 2Ah Battery and Charger, is, by far, the best one you can own. It is well balanced and less prone to wear and tear.
5. Makita XRU11M1 18V LXT Lithium-Ion Brushless Cordless String Trimmer Kit (4.0Ah)
The 18V cordless string trimmer is a viable and reliable solution for landscapers. Its features are efficient and excellent for use. The motor is designed for longer run times. The trimmer has increased power and speed, and longer tool life. The kit includes an efficient Rapid Optimum Charger and an 18V LXT 4.0Ah battery, which reaches a full charge in only 40 minutes.
- Brushless Motor;
- Automatic Torque Drive Technology;
- Bump and Feed Head;
- Reverse Rotation System;
- Lightweight and Compact;
- Overheat Warning System;
- Extreme Protection Technology;
- Star Protection Computer Controls.
- Not suitable for heavy duties.
The trimmer is perfect for residential and professional use. With the long straight shaft and 3-Speed options, it makes you spend less time working.
1. Ego 56V Brushless String Trimmer
This great cordless string trimmer is the perfect product for your medium-sized lawn. At the same time it is a perfect switch from gas-powered trimmers that are louder, produce more vibrations and they are not eco-friendly. The first thing that we have to mention about this great trimmer is that it contains improved packaging. It comes folded in half and in order to unfold it, you have to insert two screws and secure them with a wrench that is included in the package. The motor is brushless and contains more torque and power than the previous model. With 15’’ diameter path, you will be able to cut more and with that additional cutting area, you will get the additional power that will drive the string through the grass with enough force and speed to maintain your yard perfectly.
It contains 56V 2.0 Ah battery, the same one that is compatible with EGO 56V cordless chainsaw, which means that you can use it on both models. On some online shops, you can purchase the cordless string trimmer without battery for a cheaper price, if you already have the chainsaw. It comes with a battery retaining system and a lock-off lever that are more sensitive which will provide you better control than any other string trimmer.
This particular string trimmer is perfectly designed to provide you many years of service. With the ergonomic feel and nice shaft, you will be able to enjoy without any additional problem. It won’t provide you additional vibration and what is most important it is quiet and therefore you can use it without interfering with neighbors.
- It comes with a durable battery that could trim in high-speed for one hour
- The motor is brushless, which makes the trimming quite comfortable
- It is lightweight
- Levers are made of plastic
2. Milwaukee M18 Cordless String Trimmer
If you want to purchase a string trimmer that is the perfect alternative to gas-powered trimmers, this is the perfect one for you. It will really do you a quite well job. It is lightweight and kept down the noise. 9.0 amp hours will offer you a great capacity and there will be enough power to maintain your medium-sized lawn. When we talk about fuel, you have to understand that it runs on the M18 battery platform, which means that you can use any Milwaukee batteries that you have from other tools in order to power your cordless string trimmer up. It comes with a 9.0 amp hour battery which is perfect if you compare it with previous models.
Like any other battery-powered trimmers, this particular one contains two-speed settings. When you use low it will go up to 4600 RPM and for high 5800 RPM. You can manage these two speeds with speed trigger; however, you won’t be able to change speed during trimming. Which means that you have to turn it off in order to change the speed? You have to remove the hand from the trigger, change it, and activate it again. It contains 14 and 16 cutting inches, and it could be adjusted to the desired length. With cutter screws you can remove the guard in order to get wider cutting swath; however, you can do it on your own responsibility. The main benefit and the reason why people choose this cordless string trimmer is that it contains reduced noise and emissions which became a requirement in certain states.
- It contains two-speed options
- It comes with 9.0 amp hour battery
- It is lightweight and made with reduced noise
- You have to turn it off in order to change the speed
3. Dewalt 20V MAX String Trimmer
DeWalt is a great cordless string trimmer manufacturer that contains numerous different tools for maintaining your household. Even though they mainly focus on professional and heavy-duty string trimmers, this one is perfect for both medium and small yards. It is quite affordable and at the same time durable which means that you can work on it for years that will come.
First, we have to mention that it is lightweight with 8.5 lbs. and well balanced ergonomic handle. Even though the shaft is longer than the previous version, the electric motor is quite powerful and it won’t tip the trimmer forward. The handle is padded which means that it is comfortable to hold. You will be able to adjust it up and down the shaft in order to rotate it during trimming. The shaft is 65’’ long in total, which is perfect for people with bigger height. When you first use it you will understand why other users are saying that it is sturdy and everything is tight and comfortable, which makes it great to handle.
It comes with a brushless motor that has gear drive design in order to provide better cutting speed and more torque. Brushless motor will provide you higher efficiency and longer run time. It also has an increased life span, three times longer than any other motor with brushes. It contains two power modes, low and high setting. In the low setting it works on 4600 RPM and on high it goes up to 6000 RPM. You can control the speed with a trigger that has variable control and you will be able to manage the performance by pressing. It runs on 20 Voltage Lithium-ion batteries which means that it will be able to work for 40 minutes on low power and 20 minutes on high power settings. Charging takes up to one hour.
- This cordless string trimmer is perfectly designed for household use
- You can manage two-speed settings with a trigger
- It is lightweight and comfortable
- A lever is made of plastic
4. Black & Decker LST136
There are many things that you can consider before you decide to purchase cordless string trimmers. This particular one is perfect for all kinds of works and especially for households. It maneuvers perfectly because it is lightweight. That is the main reason why you won’t have a problem with sour back and any fatigue. It has only 9 pounds, and if you are in good shape. It is very easy to use and you will be able to enjoy trimming no matter if you haven’t trimmed before. The main advantage is that it contains a 36-volt Lithium-Ion battery that is perfect for a longer period working and you will be able to finish your job simpler and quicker without changing them. It provides you a combination of quick change and power and it could be an edging tool with one slight shaft turn. It is quite adjustable and if you have any back problems, you can change the working position according to your own needs. It is quite comfortable, especially when you work for longer periods.
The 36-volt battery in combination with a built-in dial adjuster can cut difficult and thick weeds and bushes in your garden. This feature is called PowerCommand and it has the possibility to boost up to 6500 RPM for normal working and up to 8500 RPM if you want to use it for tougher jobs. It contains straight shaft and automatic spool feed which is far better than other string trimmers. The only frustrating thing is that you have to wait much longer for the battery to fully recharge. However, if you buy a fast charger as an additional tool, this cordless string trimmer can recharge for one hour.
- It has extended battery life which is perfect if you have a medium-sized lawn
- It is lightweight and therefore easy to use
- It contains a PowerCommand feature that will boost the performance for tougher grass
- It is important to buy additional battery because some users stated that it could fail
5. Craftsman 40V String Trimmer
There are many different reasons why you should purchase this particular cordless string trimmer for your medium-sized backyard. Even though people that used gas-powered trimmers are skeptic when it comes to cordless string trimmers, this line and model have the similar capability as gas-powered trimmers which means that it is the perfect alternative. When you first acquire it, everything could be put together in a few minutes. You just have to snap all together and set the head screw. When you first take it and use it will feel lightweight and very easy to adjust according to your height. That means that it is perfect for people with back problems.
It contains a PowerCommand features that will provide you better performance and power for lower battery life. There is a safety switch that you can use in order to limit the performance by depressing it with your thumb in order to pull it. Everything is pretty simple and quick, and you can release the safety button when you start trimming. It runs on impressive power that could be easily compared with gas-powered trimmers. It doesn’t matter if you enter the thickest part of your lawn you will feel the amount of torque that will be transmitted to the handle. You can easily cut thick weeds, ice plants, tall grass and woody reeds. Handles are padded for additional comfort and in combination with lightweight; it could be easily used by anyone. It is environment-friendly, which means that you can use it in areas where there is such a regulation such as California.
- It comes with great adjustability
- You can operate it easily and comfortable
- It is quite powerful which means that is great alternative to gas-powered string trimmers
- Line could be thicker for aggressive cutting
Best Cordless String Trimmer – Buying Guide
Cordless string trimmers have changed in the latest decade, from a cumbersome tool that had low battery power to the lightweight, eco-friendly machine that could be compared with gas-powered trimmers without any difficulties. The performance is improved also and it is affordable, which is the most important factor in deciding which one you want to purchase.
We present you what you must consider before choosing the perfect cordless string trimmer for your household:
- Yard Size – This is an important consideration that you must take before you choose a cordless string trimmer. They can easily manage medium-sized lawns, however, if you have a bigger lawn with different and hard to reach edges that could be more expensive.
- Weight – You must bear the weight of cordless string trimmer and that is the main reason why you should choose the one that would be easy to maneuver and carry around the yard. However, you have to understand that price goes up as weight goes down.
- Battery Life – Most trimmers are powered with Lithium-Ion battery and they can run between 15 to 60 minutes of use. The important factor is the recharge time because it could take between 30 minutes and 2 hours.
- String Cutting Path – The cutting path has to be wide enough to clear large areas with one single sweep, and it has to be narrowed to tight places. The average path should be 12’’, but you can buy 10’’ also but you would need more time to finish everything.
We have presented you with a list where each best cordless string trimmer is perfect for you. Most of them have similar features and price ranges, however, if you want to purchase a string trimmer that will be comfortable, durable, and powerful, choose any one of them and you won’t regret a minute.